SHATTERED LIVES with Donna R. Gore, “LadyJustice”
Examining the effects of those who have survived violent crime and how it has impacted their lives.
Real people, real tragedy, real help.
Saturdays at 5pm ET Listen LIVE or podcast: CLICK HERE
Two of the nation’s leaders in the battle against human trafficking, Dottie Laster and Betty Houbion are special guests on the show this week for a frank discussion about the issue.
One of the fastest growing global crimes is trafficking in human slavery, whether in the sex trade, agriculture or hospitality industry, human beings are being bought and sold. Dottie Laster and Betty Houbion are two dynamic women who have taken on the cause of rescue and restoration of trafficked victims through education, training, and passing much needed legislation to prosecute this crime.
Dottie Laster, founder of Laster Global Consulting has worked with many law enforcement agencies throughout the country, educating and training officers, advocates, and concerned citizens about human trafficking. She has worked with the US Dept. of Justice and assisted in creating task forces in several communites. Dottie is the subject of the upcoming documentary film, The Cantinera, and has worked with several television and film companies, as well as speaking engagements to increase the community awareness of human trafficking. She has formed TRAFFICKED Designs to assist rescued victims in their restoration and self-sufficiency.
Betty Houbion works globally with community and economic development. Currently a resident of South Carolina, she created and successfully lobbied for stiffer legislation and penalties for human trafficking within the state. Betty recently coordinated training in Columbia, SC for Trauma Informed Care as it applies to victims of human trafficking and speaks to students and organizations in order to inspire their future advocacy as well as educate on the fine points of human trafficking. Information about trafficking can be found on her site Human Trafficking in South Carolina.
- Dottie Laster: Human Trafficking Victims Find New Opportunity with TRAFFICKED Designs (imaginepublicity.com)
- Dottie Laster and Human Trafficking Featured in PI Magazine (antihumantraffickingnews.blogspot.com)
- Christians lead the way in the fight against human trafficking and slavery (godandpoliticsuk.org)
- Owners of massage parlors in Wellesley, Revere arrested in human trafficking operation (boston.com)
- Sex Trafficking’s Unlikely Angel, Dottie Laster Featured in MORE Magazine’s October, 2012 Issue (antihumantraffickingnews.blogspot.com)