6th Annual 5k “Walk With Therese” is In Honor of
Therese Acheson Pender
On March 16,2005 around 6:15pm Therese Acheson Pender was beaten to death by her estranged husband, James Pender, as she walked home after work from the Central Avenue Metra station in River Forest, IL. Therese had recently filed for divorce from her husband, James, in December 2004. At the time of her death Therese was living with friends and had an order of protection warning that her husband was a violent man. After years of abuse, she was attempting to move on with her life and start again but sadly she never got that opportunity. James Pender was found guilty of his wife’s murder and sentenced to life in prison.
The annual “Walk With Therese” is organized by Samantha Satterhwaite and being held at Dominican University 7900 W. Division, River Forest, Illinois 60305 on Saturday, September 29 beginning at 10am CDT. The annual walk in the memory of Therese Pender brings added attention to the issue of domestic violence within the community in hopes that other victims can be helped.
Pastor Neil Schori, lead paster of Naperville Christian Church, and keynote speaker at “Walk With Therese,” has taken the lead to break the cycle of domestic violence, educate others, as well as support victims within his church and actively encourages others in the faith based community to take a more active role in assisting and saving the lives of victims of abuse within the church and surrounding communities.
In 2008 Neil Schori and Susan Murphy-Milano met in Naperville Christian Church, the church attended by Stacy Peterson before she went missing. At that meeting a unique new tool was created for victims of abuse, the Evidentiary Abuse Affidavit©. Murphy-Milano subsequently wrote the book, Time’s Up: A Guide on How to Safely Leave an Abusive Relationship with explicit instructions and blank forms for victims and advocates to use to create individualized safety planning, documenting the abuse in the form of witnessed, notarized and video taped testimony should she/he go missing or be incapacitated. Had Therese Pender applied the individualized safety measures included in the creation of the EAA she may have been saved from death at the hands of her abuser.
Pre-Registration is AVAILABLE Or REGISTER the morning of the EVENT!!
Registration: $20 per person
All registered participants will receive a “Walk with Therese” t-shirt.
For more Information go to the event website: WWW.WALKWITHTHERESE.ORG
Or contact Samanatha at: email@example.com
- The Roth Show: Pastor Neil Schori: the Peterson Verdict and Document the Abuse (imaginepublicity.com)
- Pastor Neil Schori Appears on Justice with Judge Jeanine Discussing Drew Peterson Conviction (imaginepublicity.com)
- Time’s Up with Susan Murphy Milano: Everything Old Becomes New Again! (imaginepublicity.com)
- Notes From Naperville (conqueringcancer.me)
- Apple Store Unveils the iEAA (Evidentiary Abuse Affidavit) App for Victims of Violence (dtalksradioblog.com)
- Naperville Christian Church Providing Hope for Victims of Violence (conqueringcancer.me)
- D-Talks Radio Pays it Forward for Susan Murphy-Milano (conqueringcancer.me)